INTRODUCTION TO BEHAVIORAL SCIENCES
Study of Human Beings includes
- Human body and molecules.
- Humans, culture and society.
- Abilities and capabilities.
- Levels of studies:
- Natural Sciences:
- Subatomic particles
- Cells and chemical reactions
- Organism: structure and function
- Behavioral Sciences:
- Members of group
- Broader contexts.
Behavioral Sciences basically consists of
- Biomedical model:
- Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry.
- Psycho-social model:
- Behavioral Sciences.
- Context of Illness and disease
- Interactions between patients and health professionals.
- Interface between individual and society which includes
- Morality and ethics
- social processes
- Psychological theories of behavior, health and illness.
- Health care systems
- Relevant economics.
- UHS emphasis on the acquisition of knowledge attitude and skills in the following areas:
- Individuals, groups and society.
- Communication and consultation skills
- Ethical principals.
Role of behavioral sciences in becoming a doctor
- High regard in society.
- Green-woods five qualities to acquire a profession:
- Systematic theory
- Authority recognized by its clientele
- Broader community sanction
- code of ethics
- professional culture